Thursday, October 17, 2013

"The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet" by Neil deGrasse Tyson Book Review


The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite PlanetThe Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet by Neil deGrasse Tyson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"In August 2006, the International Astronomical Union voted Pluto out of planethood. Far from the sun, wonder why Pluto has any fans. Yet during the mounting debate over it, people rallied behind the extraterrestrial underdog. Disney created an irresistible pup by the same name, and, as one NASA scientist put it, Pluto was "discovered by an American for America." Pluto is entrenched in our cultural, patriotic view of the cosmos, and Neil deGrasse Tyson is on a quest to discover why.

"Only Tyson can tell this story: he was involved in the first exhibits to demote Pluto, and, consequently, Pluto lovers have freely shared their opinions with him, including endless hate mail from third graders. In his typically witty way, Tyson explores the history of the planet recently been judged a dwarf."

I've always had an interest in science and astronomy, but it's one of those things you can't really just have a passing interest in, what with it being so science-y and stuff. Or so I thought....Damn you, Neil deGrasse Tyson for making such spectacular ruminations on our small part of the universe tangible to me! And damn you math and low self-esteem for making me think I could never understand it!

Anyway, back when Pluto lost it's "planethood", I was one of those people joining Facebook groups in protest! I loved Pluto! It was different! Why is science always so mean?!!!!! Picking on the little guy - that's the governments work!

But now I'm more mature, or something, and I can look back on it now and laugh at my naivety. Of course, science changed Pluto's status, science is always changing things and evolving its theories and whatever else scientists do. Probably poke things while wearing fashionable white lab coats and scratch their chins in wonder at the awesome power of the universe. That's why they're humble (for the most part).

I found it fascinating to read about the solar system's history and who discovered what. It was like a refresher course on the things that also float around in our galaxy. The book is also fun with it's comics and letters from angry second graders. An excellent book all around - easy to get into, insightful, funny, appropriate for all ages, and an intellect discourse on what went down when Pluto became a Kuiper Belt object. It's also pretty short and perfect for beach trips and such like. Totally recommend it.

View all my reviews
I demote this book with five out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment