Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story" Book Review


Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's StoryInterview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story by Ashley Marie Witter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"A richly-illustrated adaptation of Anne Rice's 'Interview with the Vampire', told through the eyes of the vampire Claudia, who was just a little girl when she was turned by the vampire Lestat. Though she spends many years of happiness with her two vampire fathers, she gradually grows discontent with their insistence upon treating her like a little girl, even though she has lived as long as any mortal man...and her lust to kill is certainly no less than theirs..." Adapted and illustrated by Ashley Marie Witter.

I love bookstores! But more than anything, I love walking into a bookstore with nothing particular in mind and then walking out with a gem! I loved this book! It is so beautiful!

The artwork is amazing! I really liked that it wasn't just black and white - the sepia tones with the dashes of red were stunning! It did remind me of the movie at some parts. But I think that was just on my end, because the characters don't look anything like those actors. Just some of the things they said were the same - because they're based on the same book "Interview with the Vampire".

The story is the same as it is in the book, with some embellishing for those who already know who Claudia is. Claudia was never my favorite character, but I did feel pity for her. Granted, I read that story a long time ago and it is still intriguing to me - a child vampire, so powerful and yet so defenseless at the same time.

I don't think this could be used as an introduction to a new reader though. It literally just jumps right in. You have no back story on any of the characters, except Claudia, which is fine for someone who has already read the books, but Lestat and Louis need some explaining. And Armand, come to think of it.

But overall, beautiful book and worthwhile for the Anne Rice fan.

View all my reviews
I give this book the eternal kiss of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment