Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" Book Review



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar ChildrenMiss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I actually really enjoyed this book. I got through it in less than two days with work and life getting in the way the whole time, so it was a fast read if nothing else. I thought it was well-written and the character was very likable. I liked the beginning; it was easily the best part of the book because there was just enough exposition and it was really creepy, almost horror novel worthy.


I would put it on par with "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern in some ways - the writing is a bit different (this book is for a younger audience and the romance isn't so romanticized, but it's there and it's lovely) but it has the same mysticism about it.


There is a note towards the back of the book that claims that all of the pictures are really that peculiar and they were collected by actual photography collectors for that reason. Even in this day with Photoshop I actually do believe that statement. You can do some strange things with film photography that you can't do with a digital camera without making it look obviously fake - I know this from personal experience.


The only thing I have doubts about is the author's name - that has to be a pseudonym (what parent would name their kid "Ransom"?).


On that note I thought it was designed very well - it's a beautiful book.


The thing I'm really excited about is whether there will be a sequel or not. The ending practically begs for one. But there may be problems with that due to whether there will be more peculiar old pictures to use that will match his story and whether the author meant there to be more to the story. It may be awhile before it comes out if Mr. Riggs actually comes up with something. I hope he does want to write more to this story, I would love to go on a journey with these wierd people.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment