Saturday, April 12, 2014

"Fearless" by Cornelia Funke Book Review

Fearless (Mirrorworld, #2)Fearless by Cornelia Funke

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
"Jacob Reckless returns once again to the Mirrorworld--filled with profound characters, extraordinary creatures, and epic life-or-death treasure hunts that could only come from the mind of the master storyteller of our generation, Cornelia Funke.

"Jacob Reckless has only a few months left to live. He's tried everything to shake the Fairy curse that traded his life for his brother's--legends such as the All-Healing Apple, the Well of Eternal Youth, the blood of a northern Djinn. And yet hope after hope is extinguished. After months of fruitless searching, Jacob journeys through his father's mirror one final time to deliver the bad news to Fox.

"But there they hear of one last possibility--an item so legendary that not even Mirrorworlders believe it exists: a crossbow that can kill thousands, or heal one, when shot through the heart. But a Goyl treasure hunter is also searching for the prized crossbow. Jacob must find it first--and somehow convince Fox to do whatever it takes to save him."

I just finished this one and I cannot wait until the next book! According to this site there will be three more! They need to get the translation going pronto!

I read the first of the series, "Reckless", a long time ago and I remember kinda being meh about it, but I gave it four stars, so maybe I couldn't decide what I thought of it at the time? I will have to reread it now. At the end of the first book, I wasn't sure if there would be more, although leaving the main character facing almost certain death is quite a cliff hanger. (I should not have to put *spoiler* here; Jacob trying to save his own life is the main plot of this book. Also, 'almost certain' is the only oxymoron I ever use. I'm pretty sure that's the only one I use. Maybe...Ironic, since I hate it when people say 'whole entire', like 'My whole entire life has led to this.' It's like, wait, just using one of those words wasn't good enough for you?)

But anyway, I feel this book was so much better than the first. I'm glad there is more to read. I am a huge fan of Cornelia Funke and her "Inkheart" trilogy which I totally recommend if you're even considering giving this a look. It's fantastic!

I read in some reviews (not on Goodreads) that some people found the writing beautiful and elegant on some pages and clunky on others and it did feel that way at times, but I would attribute that to maybe some stuff being lost in the translation from the original German to English.

One thing that really bugs me has nothing to do with the author, unless Funke said to her American editors, "Can you make the hardcover editions not match? That would be great." They look nothing alike and the book collector in me is loosing her shit over that.

I'm not sure what the next book will be about, but I can't wait to see the Alderelves (that's an actual spoiler....or is it?) although it's open to interpretation whether they still exist or not. Maybe the Red Fairy will continue to be angry? That seems more like her problem now though.



View all my reviews
5 out of 5 northern Djinns.

No comments:

Post a Comment