Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Me and My Dick" Musical Review

*WARNING: Strong and crude language. Not for the faint of heart. Avert your eyes.*

Brian Holden (L) and Nicholas
Joseph Strauss Matathia.
"Me and My Dick" album cover.
"Me and My Dick" was written by Matt Lang, Nick Lang, Eric Kahn Gale, and Brian Holden with music by A. J. Holmes and Darren Criss. I wasn't sure if I would actually watch this one because of its title. I can't believe someone could actually write a musical based on their dick experiences. I'm glad Freud isn't still around because he would possibly make these people certifiably insane. Although maybe he would enjoy it.... Hard to tell.

Devin Lytle as
Ms. Cooter
Anyway, I really enjoyed this musical. I cringed through the first scene because I honestly didn't know what to expect. I had expectations of people singing, but not a singing dick. That's literally the character's name: Dick. He's (it's?) played by Joseph Walker. The first scene also introduces us to a character named Joey Richter, played by Joey Richter, who owns Dick the way most men usually own their dicks, although his tends to get him in trouble. Both of these characters seek to get laid with the popular girl at school. They might also like to fall in love. Meanwhile, their next door neighbor already loves him but they don't like her because she's a bit geeky. So, the usual love story but with penises and va-ja-jas that sing.

Brian Holden as Flopsy
It wasn't until I got to the second scene that I decided to continue watching it. The deciding factor was Ms. Cooter, played by the talented Devin Lytle. I loved her character. I especially loved Nicholas Joseph (*breathe*) Strauss Matathia's character The Old Snatch. It feels a bit unusual to say that my two favorite characters are dancing and singing pussies. I'm not sure if that makes me sexist or a lesbian or both. (I just want to state right here that I am not a lesbian. Not that there is anything wrong with that.....) And Brian Holden was fabulous as Flopsy.

About the music: The music was quite good. It's obvious that Starkid Productions hold themselves to high standards. The first song is "Me and My Dick" and it's catchy while also explaining the musical's story line. "I've Seen You Around Here Before" is a beautiful love song and has a hilarious reprise in another scene featuring Flopsy, Flopsy being the vagina of the pretty and popular girl. "Listen to Your Heart" and "Gotta Find His Dick" were funny and energizing. "Flight of the Pussies" was grand!

Joseph Walker as Dick (L) and Joey Richter as himself.

I give this musical 4 of 5 stars because of its originality, creativity, and humor. Watch it for yourself here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF0D250702C0684CD&feature=plcp

And buy their music at: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/me-and-my-dick-a-new-musical/id349723312



No comments:

Post a Comment