Thursday, January 26, 2012

My House Was on Fire Last Night

I had just gotten home from work. There was a rather small, but nonetheless, bad fire going on in the walls of my parent's house. The smoke kept building and the walls began to crackle and we had to call for help.

After the firefighters and policemen came, they settled their generators and hoses and an assortment of other weaponry to make battle against the vicious flames that threatened to eat our old, mostly wooden home.

It was a bit traumatic to watch while I tried to get my dog to relax in the backyard, as smoke billowed through the chimney flue that we didn't realize had an opening inside the house (I mean, it obviously did, but it had been sealed off so we couldn't use it - apparently not very well sealed off). Smoke even leaked through the pipes and roof. I was so afraid that we would loose everything. I couldn't help the tears that coursed down my face for a few minutes.

They were there for a while, approximately two hours or so. It was so cold outside and it even started to rain at some point. They were very conscientious and apologized for any damage done to the house. But it needed to be done. It was either loose the whole house or have a few holes in the wall.

I wrote this blog entry to thank the brave and wonderful firefighters who saved my family's home, many of which are volunteers. I wish to thank the men and women who showed up from the Womelsdorf, Newmanstown and Marion Township fire departments. Thank you so much! You are a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment