Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"A Scented Palace" Book Review

A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's PerfumerA Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer by Elisabeth de Feydeau
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"This book offers a new look at the world of Marie Antoinette through the story of her personal and exclusive perfumer, Jean-Louis Fargeon. Jean-Louis served Marie for fourteen years until 1789 when the Revolution swept across France, its wrath aimed at the extravagances of the Royal Court and those who served it. Fargeon, a lifelong supporter of the Republican cause but a purveyor to the court, was in a dangerous position. Yet he remained fiercely loyal to Marie Antoinette, beyond her desperate flight to Varennes, her execution and even through his own imprisonment and trial. A Scented Palace is a wonderful window into the world of France during its most brutal and violent days."

I was debating 3 1/2 to 4 stars. It was an interesting book, but not quite of the traditional biographical vein. I had been expecting to learn about the perfumer rather than read about his passion, but I cannot say that I did not enjoy myself.

It was nice to have a closer look at Marie Antoinette. But other than the usual fare about her majesty (her dresses, the lesbian rumors, her 'affair' with Count Axel de Fersen, the Affair of the Neckless), there isn't anything new to read about. Fargeon liked his Queen, but he was still a staunch Republican.

I read, once again, that Rose Bertin, though a talented clothing designer, is a terrible businesswoman and a bit stuck up even for being the Queen's milliner. And also had the gall to price her items at such exorbitant costs. It's still such a shame that there isn't a recently published biography of her; the closest was printed in 1908 by John Long Limited and written by Emil Langlade (according to Goodreads). I'd still like to read it though. There's a French version by Michelle Sapori published in 2004; I hope it's due to come out in English sometime soon.

The ending was a bit anticlimactic (I hope that doesn't give too much away). I liked the appendices and notes pages. It was very interesting to learn about how to make perfume. I imagine it's a tiny bit different now.

Though it was well-written, I kind of wish that some of the french statements and titles had been translated, at least once. It was distracting because I didn't know what it meant. I would've used an online translator, but I don't trust those things.

What was obvious from the first page was the author's passion for perfumery. I had no idea that there was a college whose curriculum centered around learning how to make perfumes and the history behind the art. Figures it would be in France. She was given a Prix Guerlain for this book, an award usually only given to beauty products and the like that actually make good on their promises of better skin, etc.

Overall, an interesting account of perfumery in the time of Louis XVI, but not really a biography.


View all my reviews
I bestow this book with 3.5 out of 5 books.

No comments:

Post a Comment