Monday, November 5, 2012

"I Hunt Killers" Book Review

I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1)I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

"Jasper 'Jazz' Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

"But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could—from the criminal's point of view.

"And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod.

"In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret—could he be more like his father than anyone knows?"

Let me start this review by saying I was originally attracted to this book because of its cover. It is awesome! The book jacket was very eye-catching, but I was more interested in the book itself: that really caught me off guard, but it looks really cool.

I saw a friend of mine reading this book on Goodreads and thought I would give it a try.

I've never read "Dexter", but I imagine if I compared the two books together, this one would be the younger brother version.

But, also, wow. Loved this book. It was fast and an interesting take on sociopaths - whether they're born that way or nurtured into becoming that way!

I really felt for Jazz, too. It was pretty cool to watch a possible sociopath use people but not to damage them, like his father. And Billy was just so much of a threat.

Even though I loved it, I can't give it 5 stars because Howie's character was a bit of the usual, silly best friend (which is a character I usually hate, but thankfully Lyga gave Howie some smarts and actually funny things to do and say and also made him matter to the story). Although I bet in the sequel he has some more growth to him.

Also, I knew who the Impressionist was way too soon, but the twist at the end totally made up for that.

A few warnings: It is a teeny bit gory (which doesn't stop me) but I know some people are squeamish, so beware. Also, the next book in the series, called "Jasper Dent", isn't out until April 2013 and it has the provoking but unrevealing title of "Game".

I can't believe I have to wait so long to find out how the story goes on!

Got picture here: On A Book Bender Blog.
View all my reviews

I was so inspired, I drew a comic:

No comments:

Post a Comment