Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Jersey Boys" Musical Review

Almost there....
I had a super-sweet time in New York City on May 12th! My friends and I had lunch at Applebee's and there was even a fair we had no idea was going to be there and I got some really awesome stuff!

'Jersey Boys' played in the
beautiful August Wilson Theatre.
We usually go to New York City once a year to see a show and this year it was 'Jersey Boys'. I didn't know too much before hand about this show, only that it was about a popular group from the 1960's. I didn't know much about them, or so I thought, until I borrowed a friend's cd. It turns out I already knew most of the music and what I didn't know I liked anyway!

The musical follows the story of the members of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons:

Frankie Valli, played by Jarrod Spector, the lead vocalist of the pop group,

Bob Gaudio, played by Quinn VanAntwerp, the keyboardist and main songwriter of the group,

Tommy DeVito, played by Andy Karl, the troublesome lead guitarist,

and Nick Massi, played by Matt Bogart, the bass guitarist.

I thought it was very well done. It had great music already, so that was good. The actors were very handsome as well as extremely talented. The story was compelling and funny and sad. It was a very good show. Tommy DeVito was the most funny and most 'Jersey' of all the characters. And I found Nick Massi's awkward stoicalness hilarious. It even has an actor in it that plays a young Joe Pesci, (yeah, that Joe Pesci - the actor), that was spot-on. I tried finding out who it was, but stupid Playbill doesn't update their website only but once a year. But he was adorable and I would take him home in a heartbeat!
So much praise!

I had a grand time, but I don't think it was the best musical I have seen. I still can't decide which one that would be though - toss-up between 'WICKED' and 'Les Mis' probably. 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying' (starring Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette) was also pretty awesome. And I can't forget my first love and the first show I saw on Broadway, 'The Phantom of the Opera'.

The only problem I had with the production, doesn't involve the musical at all. The audience..... was from New Jersey. That should say everything.


I must say, I was very happy overall though! It was a great time!


3 comments:

  1. I truly love that show. I grew up with my dad going on and on about how good Frankie was and I'm so glad he did. I too have searched endlessly for a biography of sorts for them, but never found anything worthwhile.

    As for Jersey Boys, I have seen it in San Francisco while tickets were cheap.. and London and both were amazing nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I haven't been to London or San Francisco, but I always have a great time in New York, especially the Broadway plays. They are worth every penny, but as always if you can get a deal, even better! lol

      Delete
  2. If you see it in New York City, you will probably get the singer who is on the original Broadway musical recording that they still sell. He is truly amazing! Sounds just like Frankie Valli!

    ReplyDelete