Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Cruel Beauty" by Rosamund Hodge Book Review


Cruel BeautyCruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Graceling" meets "Beauty and the Beast" in this sweeping fantasy about one girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and the monster who gets in her way-by stealing her heart.

Based on the classic fairy tale "Beauty and the Beast", "Cruel Beauty" is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.

There are so many things to say about this book. I don't know where to start. My head is a little light with the pleasure of having read this wonderful book. I loved it. It was everything to me for about a day and a half. It was beautiful and fun and majestic.

It's an odd retelling of the classic tale Beauty and the Beast. It also had the ancient legends of the Greek gods to borrow from and a little bit of the horrific story of Bluebeard. I loved that there were keys in this story and that they always seemed to cause a sexy moment.

This is definitely going to be a case of book-hangover for me. Damn you, Hodge! May your next book be as awesome and wonderful as this one! And for the gods sake, don't ask the Kindly Ones for help!!!

It's funny, I know about the Kindly Ones via Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" graphic novels, and they're just as horrible in there. I still have no idea why they have anything to do with the Greek gods. I guess I need to brush up on my ancient stories. I want a sparrow god. That's adorable. And it was so kind, too.

Oh my god, Ignifex/Shade! Ugh, I would like a man that is anything like either of those! Snarky, humorous, gorgeous, blue-eyed, red-eyed, can fly, bargains well - I would never get cheated by an old car salesman ever again! Also, the fact that he more or less fights demons makes him sound so incredibly sexy to me!

Nyx was pretty awesome. Strong but very bitter and that made her so much more real than most heroes. I would compare her to Katniss Everdeen, but less action and more sensual. This is not necessarily a book for very young, young adult readers.

I guess you could say that the ending is bittersweet, but I'm having trouble digesting all that it means. Maybe there's a sequel in the works? I'm not sure if that would ruin it for me or not. I definitely want more.

I have to link to the review that caused me to buy this wonderful book - it was written by Emily May, otherwise known as the Book Geek and you can find it here - A great review, I wish I could write half as well.

View all my reviews
5 out of 5 roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment