Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Graphic Designer of the Month: Luba Lukova

The great Luba Lukova.
A Short Biography: She has a Masters Degree in Fine Arts from the National Academy of Fine Arts, located in Sofia, Bulgaria.

"Internationally recognized, New York based, Luba Lukova is one of the most distinctive image-makers working today. Whether by using an economy of line, color, and text to pinpoint essential themes of the human condition or to succinctly illustrate social commentary, her work is undeniably powerful and thought provoking.

"Lukova has won many awards including Grand Prix Savignac at the International Poster Salon, Paris, France; the Golden Pencil Award at the One Club, New York; ICOGRADA Excellence Award at the Poster Festival in Chaumont, France; and Honor Laureate at the International Poster Exhibition in Fort Collins, CO. Solo exhibitions of her work have been held at UNESCO, Paris; DDDGallery, Osaka, Japan; La MaMa, New York and The Art Institute of Boston. She is widely regarded for her editorial illustrations for The New York Times and has received commissions for her work from the Wall Street Journal, Time magazine, Adobe Systems, Sony Music, and Harvard University. Her evocative theatre posters have graced numerous stage productions in the US and Europe. Lukova’s work is included in the permanent collections of the Museum of Modern Art, New York; The Library of Congress, Washington, DC; Bibliotheque Nationale de France. Most recently her Health Coverage poster was in a prestigious exhibition during the Inauguration of President Obama in Washington, DC. In 2009 publisher Clay & Gold will release “Speaking with Images”, a new book about her work." (Source #1)

What Is Her Specialty: "Regarded as one of the most distinctive image-makers working today, Luba’s artwork uses metaphors, the juxtaposition of symbols, and bold, deceptively simple graphics to comment on many of today’s social and political issues.

"'I was born and educated in Bulgaria and, of course, this has shaped me both as a person and an artist. I came to the U.S. by invitation of the International Poster Exhibition in Fort Collins, Colorado. They had seen my work at other international biennials and wanted me to be a part of their show. So I’ve lived in New York more than any other place in the world, and that has also had an intense effect on me and my work.'" (Source #2)

About Her Work & Influences: "My grandmother was an artist and I grew up around her, so from a very early childhood I was determined to become an artist like her. I drew a lot as a kid, like almost every child does. I’ve attended many art classes and I graduated from the National Art Academy in Sofia.

"This was a six-year program with a very vigorous training in drawing and painting. I graduated with a masters degree in poster and graphic design. But we were basically trained to do everything and that I think was a very good thing. I cannot say that there is a single influence in my career as an artist. I’m open to so many things. I’ve been definitely affected by artists like Picasso, Goya, Rembrandt, Chekhov, Shakespeare, Charlie Chaplin, and so many more.

"I think art should reflect what is going on in the real world. I’ve never wanted to be a distant, elitist artist and I’ve always felt that drive to tackle controversial issues. Toward the end of my studies at the National Art Academy, I had this thought that if I’ve spent so many years learning how to speak with my art, I should use that skill to say something meaningful and truthful, no matter the consequences. I guess this is a simple idea but it is relevant to me to this day.

[On whether art can affect change or be a catalyst for change:] "I do believe so. It is easy to get discouraged about art’s ability to change the world when we see that abuse and injustice continue despite the creation of so much powerful art. It is impossible for art to fix a declining economy or stop all wars, but art changes the way people see and understand reality. And if we, as artists, often lose faith in the impact of our work, those in power are quite aware of it. If art were so innocent and benign, there wouldn’t be censorship in this world.

"Sometimes I do many sketches, sometimes the process is very fast. I also paint with acrylic paint and occasionally will touch up finished images on the computer. But this is when I’m preparing files for print, the actual image making is entirely done by hand. I love doing research for every piece I create." (Source #2)


Where She Can Be Found: Currently teaching visual communication and graphic design courses as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Pratt Institute, she also has a brand new website located here: http://www.lukova.net/. (Source #1)


Current & Future Projects? When speaking of her publishing company, Clay & Gold, which was established in 2007, to Michael Gibbs of Be Inkandescent Magazine, she had this to say:

"It is an extension of my artistic practice and it allows me to publish my work without any restrictions. The Social Justice series was our first publication. We are in the finishing stages of a new book called 'Graphic Guts,' a comprehensive collection of my political posters.

"The name Clay & Gold comes from an ancient Sanskrit text saying: “To the illumined mind, a clod of clay, a stone and gold are the same.” I thought this might be true for what I’d like to do with my publications. The beauty and meaning have nothing to do with the expense of the materials, it is the ideas and feelings that bring value. So that is why I called it 'Clay & Gold.'"

You can buy prints of Lukova's 'Social Justice' series at Clay & Gold, which can be found here: http://www.clayandgold.com/index.html.

Effect on Graphic Design: I can only speak from a personal standpoint, but I find Lukova's work truly inspiring. In a world where images are multi-layered and tinkered using computer software, Lukova's insistence on hand drawing, for both the illustrations and the typography used in her work, is refreshing. Her bold color choices and specific need to use minimalist images make her posters say the very thing she's trying to bring to the forefront of public consciousness.

I had a project in school where we had to take a public issue and create a series of posters using only three colors (not including white) and use a set of minimalist drawings to inform people about the issue or provoke people into action. This is the way Lukova designs. It is very difficult to come up with a politically charged image that won't represent both sides of the issue when transformed into a minimalist drawing. To make it a little more simple, the teachers allowed us to use a tagline in the piece.


Sources:
- #1 - http://www.pratt.edu/academics/art_and_design/ug_communications_design/faculty_


3 comments:

  1. I like this post!! I cannot wait to see more of these! I am so uneducated when it comes to famous designers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! If I get a lot of good responses, I might do two a month next year!

      Delete