Saturday, March 10, 2012

"Plastic Culture" Book Review


Plastic Culture: How Japanese Toys Conquered the WorldPlastic Culture: How Japanese Toys Conquered the World by Woodrow Phoenix
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A very charming work about plastic toys from Japanese artists and how they have been influenced by America's 1950s and 1960s memorabilia. The book itself is a short read, but holds many fascinating pictures of toys and figures from artists I had never heard of before but have huge followings due to their unique styling. I recommend this book to those who like toys, the history of toys, the social impact of toys on children and adults, or are making toys. I could also recommend this to designers, interior decorators, illustrators, and those interested in branding design, because there are many tips and ideas about the simplicity and complexity of the toys and their designs that I think would be helpful to many people. Overall, I found this book entertaining and interesting.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment